Between 1953 and 1987, the water at Camp Lejeune’s Marine training base in North Carolina was infested with toxic levels of chemicals such as solvents, benzenes, and other compounds. Normally used in different industrial areas, these compounds seemed into the groundwater at Camp Lejeune. exposing millions of people to contaminated water.

Sadly, the effects of that water continue to be seen today. The CDC estimates that around 1 million people living on the base were affected by two toxic water wells out of 8 wells located on the base. Sadly, many people were unaware of the effects of the toxic water, or even unaware that they had toxic water to begin with.

For these people, getting help was virtually impossible. Fortunately, new changes to the law mean that with the assistance of a VA attorney you could find yourself being eligible to receive VA disability benefits from now on. Below are some of the many ways you can determine if you are eligible for compensation.

Time Period

The CDC states that people must have lived on the base for 30 days or longer, or been exposed to drinking water for 30 days or longer, to qualify for VA disability benefits.

If you were a civilian contractor or employee that worked on base between 1953 and 1987, then you might be eligible for compensation. The ABC dry cleaners, a local dry cleaners thought to be responsible for seeping chemicals into the ground, was established in 1953.


In addition to proving you were exposed to the water on base for more than 30 consecutive days between 1953 and 1987, you must also have suffered from a number of diseases. Such diseases include:

  • Bladder cancer
  • Breast cancer
  • Esophageal cancer
  • Female infertility
  • Hepatic steatosis
  • Kidney cancer
  • Leukemia
  • Lung cancer
  • Miscarriage
  • Multiple myeloma
  • Myelodysplastic syndromes
  • Neurobehavioral effects
  • Non-Hodgkin’s lymphoma
  • Renal toxicity
  • Scleroderma

If you or someone you know suffered from one of these diseases but are still feeling its effects, you might still be compensated. For instance, if you lost your job due to your chemo treatment, or if your many miscarriages and infertility lead to a rift in the family, these might also fall under “emotional damages.”

You can seek financial compensation from the VA and by filing a civil lawsuit. A civil lawsuit was once extremely difficult, if not impossible, to grant before a jury. However, your lawyer will be able to get you in touch with a judge and court team to hear your side of the story for once.

Appropriate Work On Base

You must also prove you were drinking water during the years between 1953 and 1987. Proof that you drank the water at the base might be enough for the VA to grant you disability if you worked on the base and suffered from a deadly disease.

In addition, you should also prove that you did not receive a dishonorable discharge from the military. Opt for using a lawyer if you have received a dishonorable discharge. Your lawyer will fight to get you the best representation besides what others are saying. Resources like and other nearby lawyers can help you get the settlement you deserve for your pain and suffering.